By making a booking for this experience, you warrant that you have read these terms and conditions and agree to be bound by them
Due to the nature of animals, these terms and conditions could change at any time.
All people intending to enter the enclosure with the cheetahs, ie, Meet a Cheetah, must read, adhere to and understand the following;
- Age: a minimum age of 15 years old
- Height: a minimum of 1.5m or 150cm tall
- Physical ability:
- Participant must be able to kneel down or bend over to pat the cheetah while it is in resting position unless just being in with the cheetah
is an acceptable experience for the participant (not having as many patting opportunities).
- Participant must be reasonably fit and healthy, have full motor skill capacity and be able to move quickly when necessary without
assistance. If participant is unable to demonstrate this, the encounter may need to be cancelled. If participant has a limp but is able to move efficiently,
please make sure National Zoo is aware prior to booking/paying.
- No walking aids or wheelchairs are permitted on the encounter.
- Any other reason that the participant may be vulnerable, please contact National Zoo & Aquarium and ensure this is acceptable for Meet a Cheetah.
- Elderly people are welcome to do Meet a Cheetah as long as all other terms & conditions are met.
- Other physical problems:
- Visual problems: participants must have reasonable eyesight to move around enclosure/cheetah. If the participant is blind or has little vision,
please contact us to discuss, an extra handler may be able to assist on particular weekdays but this will need prior arrangement and may incur a small fee
and a shorter session if necessary.
- Communication ability:
- Language: all participants must understand English or have a paying translator with them.
- All participants must be capable of understanding instructions.
- Any participant with an intellectual disability must contact the National Zoo & Aquarium to discuss prior to booking.
- Pregnancy: please consult with your doctor before participating in Meet a Cheetah.
- Enclosed flat shoes
- Very long hair to be tied back
- Caps and hats are ok, please avoid wearing particularly large broad brimmed hats
- Avoid wearing baggy or frilly clothing
- Clothing should be neutral in colour, avoid overly bright colours or animal print
- Avoid over powering scents/perfumes
- Avoid bangles or noisy accessories
- Avoid large sunglasses if possible
- No real or fake fur to be worn or taken in. This includes fake fur around hoodies.
- In wet weather, please wear a wet weather jacket, no poncho’s or umbrella’s
- Long pants or shorts are OK - while patting the cheetah you will be in a crouching position so wear pants and tops suitable for this.
A handler will take a few photos at the beginning of the session. Please bring your own camera, one per person:
- Small camera’s, no large telegraphic lenses, smaller lenses ok, please keep in mind, if the cheetah is interested in your camera, the handler will allow them to investigate/sniff,
usually this is enough for them to lose interest but there is a risk they may damage the camera, therefore, expensive camera’s are best kept at home.
- Phones are acceptable but i-pads are not. Phone covers that have animal print may be of interest, they should be taken off if possible.
- No go-pro’s on sticks or body straps, and no selfies.
Meet a Cheetah may be cancelled at the handlers discretion on the day. Participants can re-book or receive a voucher to use another time.
- Participants must arrive 30 minutes prior to the encounter, money will not be refunded if late or you do not show. A rebooking fee is available if 24 hours notice is given.
- All participants must follow instructions given by the handlers at all times.
- Handlers may stop the encounter at any time.
- Handlers may refuse any person on the day to participate for safety reasons. If all terms and conditions have been followed, a refund will be given.
- Any cameras or possessions taken in with the cheetahs may be damaged or played with, this is not the responsibility of the National Zoo & Aquarium.
- Please be aware that cheetahs are a predatory animal and although it rarely happens, they are capable of scratching or biting.
- Prior to the encounter the handlers will run through safety, each cat has individual preferences but here are some of the safety protocols:
- Always be kneeling in a position where you can get up and step back quickly when asked. No sitting is allowed.
- Pat down the spine from shoulder to base of tail, do not touch the cheetahs tail, legs or belly.
- Do not roughly handle the cheetahs, firm but gentle pats, the handler will advise if you are not patting correctly.
- Do not put your face close to the cheetah, they do not like this and may react.
- National Zoo & Aquarium does not take any responsibility for any injury received, first aid will be called in the rare circumstance it is required.
In the case that a participant is refused their booked Meet a Cheetah due to any of the above not been adhered to the National Zoo & Aquarium will not give a refund or rebook the encounter.
Participants may be contacted after their experience by email - either directly by the Zoo or by a third party such as Trip Advisor - to gain feedback of their experience, and a response is entirely optional.
Email addresses are not used or shared for any other purpose. We
are bound by privacy obligations in relation to the protection of User's personal information
- THE USE OF WHISTLES OF ANY TYPE, ANYWHERE ON THE ZOO
GROUNDS IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
THESE ARE USED BY ZOO STAFF IN AN EXTREME EMERGENCY.
- Bookings are non-refundable*. No refund will be given for any unused services or non-arrival.
- Any changes to an existing booking can only be done by phoning the National
Zoo and Aquarium on (02) 6287 8400.
- Cancelling/rescheduling an existing booking can be done up to 24 hours prior to your Tour/Encounter and a rescheduling/rebooking fee of $5.00
per person will apply.
If another date cannot be chosen at the time, a Voucher/s will be issued to rebook at your convenience and the fees will still apply to cancel the booking and generate the Voucher/s.
- Cancelling/rescheduling within 24 hours of your Tour/Encounter
will incur a fee of $20 per person. If another date cannot be chosen at the time,
a Voucher/s will be issued to rebook at your convenience and the fees will still apply to cancel the booking and generate the Voucher/s.
- All fees incurred for any changes to your booking as outlined above, are payable at the time of the change. The National Zoo & Aquarium reserves
the right to recharge any fees incurred to the credit card originally used to make your online booking.
- Bookings can be transferred to another personís name, provided they meet
the terms and conditions.
If you miss your booked time as a result of being late or through simply
not showing up, without prior notice, you may not be re-scheduled and may
forfeit any monies paid.
This is entirely up to the discretion of the National Zoo & Aquarium.
- Heavy rain and or high wind or electrical storms may require a booking
to be rescheduled. *Refunds for booking cancellation/rescheduling due to weather conditions
are decided upon and approved soley
by the National Zoo & Aquarium.
1. Participants in Meet a Cheetah have free General Admission
into the National Zoo & Aquarium on the set date of their Encounter
2. A maximum of 2 places per timeslot may be
booked by any one or more customers for Meet a Cheetah