We are Hiring
Team Leader Aquarium/ Reptiles- Full Time
The National Zoo & Aquarium in Canberra is seeking a senior Aquarist/Reptile Keeper to join their hard working and dedicated team. As a senior aquarist you will work alongside the wildlife supervisor, veterinarian and operations manager. You will be expected to lead a team of two casual keepers and up to seven volunteers. This is a full time position where you will be responsible for the daily care and upkeep of the aquarium and reptile section.
Your responsibilities will include:
- The highest standard of animal husbandry, exhibit presentation, technical operations and safety.
- Oversee and participate in the husbandry of the fish, elasmobranch, invertebrate, reptile and amphibian collections.
- Oversee the daily exhibit care and maintenance of all exhibits.
- Detailed record keeping and feeding logs as well as medical treatment sheets.
- Lead by example setting the standard for animal care and professionalism.
- Assist and support management teams in planning and management of the animal care department
- Interact with guests, management, volunteers and other individuals when required. Including public presentations.
- Preferably a bachelor degree in Marine Science, Zoology, Environmental Science, or equivalent is highly desired. TAFE / College certificates III, IV and Diploma in Captive Animals, Animal Husbandry will also be considered.
- A minimum of 3 to 5 years paid experience as an aquarist/zookeeper in a public aquarium or zoo facility.
- A minimum of 1 year as a staff supervisor / team leader would be strongly desired.
- Experience with closed system husbandry, maintenance and LSS design.
- Experience with fish and reptile health management, diagnostics and appropriate treatments.
- PADI SCUBA Rescue Dive certified
- Valid manual drivers licence
- Weekend and holiday availability
- First Aid / CPR certifications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to work on multiple tasks and meet necessary deadlines
- The ability to focus and remain calm under pressure
- A person who can think outside the box
- Practical and analytical thinking, bringing to the table solutions, not problems.
- Excellent organisational skills and detailed observation skills.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly and adapt to change
- Have a passion for animal conservation and the marine environment.
How to Apply;
Please send a current CV along with a cover letter outlining your ability to meet the above section criteria (300-500 words), as well as a scenario where you had to think outside the box to solve a problem (300-500 words), to firstname.lastname@example.org before 5 pm July 20 2018.