The school holiday program with a difference!
Zoocation offers a unique experience for primary aged children. During a fun-filled day, children will get close to many of the zoo’s animals, play games, make toys for the animals, and will learn something along the way. Staffed and developed by the experienced and qualified Education Guides of the National Zoo and Aquarium, this program prides itself on delivering a program like no other. Zoocation runs between the hours of 9am-4pm on weekdays during ACT school holidays.
During the booking process you will be required to provide emergency contact details, and information regarding your child’s medical requirements, if any. We recommend making your booking online, however if you need to make a booking over the phone, please have these details on hand prior to phoning.
- Activities run from 9.15am – 4.00pm.
- Our gates are open from 8:55am until 4:45pm, with late fees applying after 5pm.
- Available to children attending Primary School
- Includes exciting animal-related activities every day (see session outlines)
- Exposes your child to the fascinating Zoological world
What to Bring
- A packed lunch & snacks (and/or place a lunch order at drop off)
- A water bottle as Zoocation is an outdoor program
- Wet weather gear in case of rain
- Enclosed shoes
- As Zoocation is an outdoor program that explores the zoo, please make sure to pack all items in a backpack that your child can comfortably carry throughout the day.
- You will be required to sign your child in and out each day.
- Each child will be required to submit an indemnity form signed by a legal guardian. This form only needs to be submitted once per school holidays per child. Indemnity forms are available to sign on the day, or save time and print this form to hand in on the first day. Download the Zoocation Indemnity Form.
- Zoocation is a nut aware program. We ask participants not to bring nut products, however other zoo patrons may utilise the same eating spaces at other points in the day and many of our animals eat nuts.
- Due to animals being involved in our program, we are not eligible for the CCR.
- Please note — the fee for pickups after 5pm is $50. Unless otherwise requested, this will be charged to the credit card connected to the booking.
Zoocation bookings open 3-4 weeks prior to the school holidays.
Zoocation is now run in multi-aged groups from Kinder to Year 6 to facilitate families and friends traveling together. Guides are well trained to tailor the program to different age levels and there may be times where the groups will be split to cater for age appropriate activities.
We do not recommend that children entering Kindergarten in February attend the January Zoocation program. Please allow your child to build the stamina and skills in Term 1 of Kindergarten before attending Zoocation later in the year.
*It is important to book your child into the appropriate group according to the year they are in at school. DO NOT BOOK Kindy & Year 1 children into the Senior program. Your booking will be cancelled and made into a voucher to use in the next program.
Please do not book without reading the Terms & Conditions. Bookings are non refundable.