SENIOR AQUARIST AND REPTILE KEEPER
Privately owned, the National Zoo and Aquarium is one of the most highly regarded zoos in Australia. The zoo and Aquarium is also home to Jamala Wildlife Lodge which continues to receive worldwide attention and reviews, consistently rating it amongst the top animal lodges in the world.
The aquarium department consists of 17 salt and fresh water systems that range from 500L to 200,000L. All reptiles are non-venomous, native and exotic, lizards and snakes, as well as a small collection of amphibians.
The position will be responsible for all aspects of the aquarium department, including the management of the aquarium team. As this role includes daily husbandry, animal care, exhibit presentation and maintenance a high standard of husbandry and animal care and enclosure presentation are expected and will be needed to excel in this position.
- Demonstrates a high level of experience and expertise with both large saltwater and freshwater aquarium life support systems and water quality management. (Minimum of 3 years)
- Ability to maintain high standards of husbandry, hygiene and animal care in changing operating environments.
- Experience with habitat maintenance and the ability to review habitats and assess their visitor appeal.
- Ability to work independently.
- Demonstrates excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills and proven experience with promoting a positive team culture.
- Experience in training team members.
- Rescue SCUBA diving qualifications.
- Willingness to work on weekends and assist with short notice shift cover.
- Experience in reptile husbandry and handling.
- Experience in habitat design and the ability to review habitats and to assess their visitor appeal.
- Basic plumbing & mechanical skills.
- Project management and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing operating environments.
The successful candidate will work with a supportive team and will be encouraged to excel in their role. Options for further relevant training or education will be available. Remuneration to commensurate level of experience.
Closing date: Sunday 23rd of August 2020
To apply: Applications are to be emailed to Renee Nasserpour [email protected] with ‘Senior Aquarium Position’ as subject line.
All applicants must supply;
- A cover letter outlining the above criteria.
- A resume (which must detail time spent in paid or unpaid positions).
- Referee contact details