Sridate Pty Ltd, trading as the National Zoo & Aquarium (collectively referred to as “we”, “us” and NZA) recognises that your privacy is important to you and we are committed to protecting the Personal Information we collect about you. The NZA manages Personal Information in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Privacy Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APP) contained therein. This policy outlines how we collect, use, disclose and otherwise manage Personal Information about you.
Purpose of collection
We may collect and use your Personal Information for one or more of the following reasons:
- Providing our products or services to you
- To assist with your queries
- Processing a booking or application that you have made
- Providing you with information about other services that may be of interest to you that we and other affiliated organisations may offer
- Providing you with promotional information about us and other affiliated organisations
- For surveys, direct marketing, promotions or competitions
- Facilitating our internal business operations, including the fulfilment of any legal requirements; and analysing our services and customer needs with a view to developing new and/or improved services
Methods of collection
Personal Information will generally be collected directly from you through the use of any of our standard forms, over the internet, via email or through a telephone conversation with you. There may, however, be some instances where Personal Information about you will be collected from third party contractors or agents who provide our products and services on our behalf because it is impractical to collect Personal Information directly from you.
Types of information collected
The types of Personal Information about you that we collect may include your name, address, contact details, images and other such information that can identify you and that is relevant for us to provide our products and service to you in the manner that you have requested, or to comply with the law.
We do not generally collect sensitive information from you such as details of your race, political beliefs or religion, however if you provide such information to us, we will only collect that information with your express consent and only where such information is reasonably required in order for us to provide our products or services to you (such as special access or assistance requirements due to a health condition). We shall not disclose sensitive information to any other party without your consent.
Failure to provide information
If the Personal Information you provide to us is incomplete and/or inaccurate, or you choose not to provide us with the Personal Information that we have requested, it may affect our ability to provide you, or someone else you know, with the products and services you or they are seeking.
If you access our website or any mobile applications (apps), we may collect information about you including:
- Server address/IP address
- Date and time of visit
- Pages visited
- Documents downloaded
- The site you visited prior to visiting our website
- The browser that you are using to access our website
- If you have visited our website before
- Location data
No attempt will be made to identify users or their browsing activities except in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency may exercise a warrant to inspect server logs. The statistics and log files may be preserved indefinitely and used at any time and in any way necessary to prevent security breaches and to ensure the integrity of the information supplied by NZA. Your Personal Information will not be released unless the law permits it or your permission is granted.
Links to other websites
Our websites or apps may contain links to other websites. We are not responsible for the security or privacy practices of linked websites and any linked websites are not subject to our privacy policies and procedures. You should exercise caution and review the privacy statements applicable to the third-party websites and services you use.
Use and disclosure
Generally, we use and disclose Personal Information about you for the purposes for which it was collected. We may also disclose Personal Information about you to:
- Other affiliated organisations for the purposes of providing you with information about services and various promotions that might be of interest to you.
- Our professional advisors.
- Other parties with your consent or direction.
We will only provide such Personal Information to those third parties as required to provide our products or services, unless otherwise authorised by you or required under law.
Transfer of your Personal Information overseas
When you provide us with information about yourself, you will usually be given the option to let us know that you do not want that information to be used for direct marketing purposes. You can change your mind about your preferences with regards to direct marketing and make choices at any time by following the unsubscribe instructions included in the relevant communication.
The security of your Personal Information is important to us. We store your Personal Information in different ways, including on paper, in electronic form and utilising secure document retention services (including those off-site). We take all reasonable measures to ensure that your Personal Information is stored safely to protect it from misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. These may include both electronic and physical security measures such as but not limited to:
- physical security over paper-based and electronic data storage and premises;
- computer and network security measures, including the use of firewalls, password access and secure servers;
- restricting access to your personal information to employees and those acting on our behalf who are authorised and on a ‘need to know’ basis;
- retaining your personal information for no longer than it is reasonably required unless we are required by law to retain it for longer; and
- entering into confidentiality agreements with staff and third parties.
We cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted via the internet. As such, transmission of Personal Data via the Internet is at your own risk. We have selected our third-party vendors for their standards of security.
National Zoo and Aquarium
999 Lady Denman Drive, Canberra, ACT, 2611
If, upon receiving access to your Personal Information, or at any other time, you believe that Personal Information we hold about you is inaccurate, incomplete or out of date, please notify us immediately and we will take all reasonable steps to correct the information unless we are authorised not to do so by law.